Enter Global Canvas
Thank you for your interest in David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation’s (DSWF) children’s art competition.
The theme for the 2021 competition is ‘Healing Nature- a Planet on the Edge’ and entries are now open.
Due to the current situation with school closures and fluctuating safety measures, we have made the decision to extend the deadline for this year’s entries to Wednesday 24 February 2021 allowing for more creative time and design. We will also be accepting individual entries as well as group entries to help with national lockdowns and group restrictions.
This year’s Global Canvas final will now be held online in a virtual awards ceremony on Thursday 25 March. The virtual event will ensure as many children, art groups, teachers and schools are able to join us for the winning announcements in a safe and stress-free environment and include exciting speakers and presentations.
Please do take a look at the competition guidelines below to find out what you will need to do to enter.
Global Canvas entry checklist:
- A photograph of your group’s mini-exhibition/art display in line with this year’s theme.
- 200 words describing how you have interpreted the theme (please see entry form at bottom of the page).
- Alongside your group’s entry, you will need to submit a video/ PowerPoint presentation telling us all about your artwork and how you have interpreted the theme. Videos must be no more than 3 minutes long.
- Please send these via WeTransfer/Dropbox/Google Drive to our Education Manager. The video/presentation will be shown during the virtual awards ceremony if you are selected as an overall or category winner.
- Please fill out our entry form at the bottom of this page when you are ready to submit your artwork.
- To avoid confusion, please make sure your art group/school or entry name is clear and consistent on all documents.
Please also ensure you have familiarised yourself with DSWF’s Global Canvas Terms & Conditions.
Thursday, 25 June 2020 – Global Canvas entries open
Wednesday, 24 February 2021 – Entries close
Thursday, 25 March 2021 – Virtual awards ceremony
Global Canvas competition rules
- This competition is group entry, open to everyone aged 16 and under. (Talented art students between the ages of 16-22 should consider entering the Human Impact category of Wildlife Artist of the Year).
- Update: Please note that for the Global Canvas 2021 competition, if you are unable to work as a group to create your display due to Covid 19 (e.g. due to isolation/ quarantine/ school closure), we will accept individual entries and marks will not be lost during the judging process for not entering as part of a group.
- Entries are welcomed from any art groups, classes, year groups, groups of friends or a whole school!
- Each group’s entry should fill a wall space 180cm x 180cm with a table 180cm x 60cm in front. Be as creative as you can, using anything from paint, sculpture or sewing to recycled art, to create your own mini-exhibition! Make sure that you use some form of recycled materials in the final piece.
- Entry is FREE. Donations are welcome but will not affect judging. (Suggested donation £20).
What happens if your school’s artwork is shortlisted?
Due to the current situation with school closures and fluctuating safety measures we have chosen to move our exciting award ceremony online.
Please check back soon to find out more information.
Here is an example of a shortlisted artwork display at London’s Natural History Museum. Read more about what is required in your group display.
Make sure you have checked our printable competition details and Terms & Conditions before you enter.
Global Canvas entry form
Please note for individual entrants, please note that you do not need to include a video or PowerPoint with your submission, but please include a maximum of 200-word description on how you made your entry and how you interpreted the theme. If you would like to enter individually please click here to fill out the form.
If you are entering as a group please fill out the form before.
*Due to government guidelines and ever-changing circumstances regarding Covid 19, please do refer back to the website on a regular basis for updates. If the event has to be cancelled for any reason, the competition final will still go ahead online and you will be given plenty of notice.