Enter Wildlife Artist of the Year
Entries for Wildlife Artist of the Year 2022 will open in Early January 2022
We are delighted that you have decided to enter Wildlife Artist of the Year. Before you begin submitting your artworks, please take note of the following:
- All entries need to be an original work of art completed by you, the artist. The artist must be the sole author and owner of the copyright of all artworks entered.
- Entries must feature work completed by you within the last five years. Works completed before 15 February 2016 cannot be entered.
- All entered artworks need to be available for sale.
- All artworks submitted should not have been entered into any previous Wildlife Artist of the Year competitions.
- By entering Wildlife Artist of the Year, you agree that DSWF gets a non-exclusive license to reproduce the artwork for any purpose in connection with the competition and the charity including publicity, marketing, fundraising and exhibitions, with full credit given to the artist when used.
- Please find the full Terms and Conditions here.
Who can enter Wildlife Artist of the Year?
Wildlife Artist of the Year is open to both professional and amateur artists aged 17 or over, using any technique, medium or style excluding photography and digitally produced artwork. Artists must have reached the age of 17 by the closing date for entries . The Human Impact Category is open to young artists between the ages of 16 and 22. All artworks need to be available for sale and completed by the artists within the last five years, and multiple entries are welcome.
Which mediums are allowed?
Mediums can include oil, acrylic, watercolour, pencil, mixed media, bronze, plaster, wire, collage with styles encompassing traditional, abstract, monochrome and many others – the choice is yours.
Unfortunately, photography or digital artworks are not accepted in this competition.
- The entry fee is £25 per an artwork for the first two entries, thereafter it is £15 per entry. (There is no limit on the number of entries).
- Human Impact entrants pay £15 per entry. The Human Impact Category is only available to young artists between the ages of 16 to 22.
(If you wish to qualify for the reduced entry fee (£15) after your second submission, please submit all the artworks you are entering at the same time).
When do entries to Wildlife Artist of the Year close?
Entries for Wildlife Artist of the Year 2022 close Early April 2022.
When is the exhibition?
Once the judging has taken place, the shortlisted artworks will be displayed online throughout September 2022
What are the judges looking for?
The judges are looking for not only beautifully executed artworks but also imaginative interpretation, moving away from the purely photographic to interesting compositions with great characterization, showing imagination, originality and genuine creativity. As well as showing an understanding of the subject, they are looking for a genuine love of your medium. You can of course get your inspiration from a photograph or drawing but be sure to make it your own interpretation of that image. Straight copies are not only breaching copyright but are judged to be unimaginative and dull.
Tips for Wildlife Artist of the Year
- Tips from Wildlife Artist of the Year winners
- How to win wildlife art competitions
- Ideas for watercolourists
- How to use social media to attract votes for the People’s Choice Award
Entries by post
If you have an electronic image of your artwork (jpeg), we encourage you to complete the online form below. We do also accept postal entries. If you are unable to enter online, please download the ‘Postal Entry Form’ from the website or telephone 01483 272323 and we will send you one. We scan hard copies of photographs on receipt but please note this may affect the quality so it is best if you can send a jpeg file on a CD.