David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation (DSWF) visits schools and conducts talks, workshops, or assemblies free of charge in order to raise awareness about endangered wildlife and conservation.
The following talks and workshops are designed for Key Stage 1 (KS1). Please see below details for national curriculum links.
All talks are 25 minutes, including a question and answer session. Talks can be given as an assembly and are suitable for EYFS and Key Stage 1 combined.
Key Stage 1 wildlife talks
Extraordinary Elephants Talks
(25 minutes- including Q & A session)
Find out all about the world’s largest land mammal, what makes them so amazing and why they need our help.
Key Stage 1 Elephant Workshops
If you would like to follow this with a workshop, you can choose from one of the following:
- Make your own elephant mask – suitable for year 1 (duration: 40 minutes)
- Make an elephant puppet – suitable for year 1 (duration: 25 minutes)
- Elephant collage – suitable for Year 2 (duration: 50 minutes)
- Elephant bunting – suitable for Year 2; create a flag each of which will be joined together to make a string of bunting to decorate the classroom (duration: 40 minutes)
Terrific Tigers Talks
Learn about the biggest cat in the world, what makes it so special and why they need our help.
Key Stage 1 Tiger workshops
If you would like to follow this with a workshop you can choose from one of the following:
- Make a tiger face -suitable for year 1 (duration: 25 minutes)
- Make a tiger puppet – suitable for year 1 (duration: 25 minutes)
- Tiger collage – suitable for Year 2 (duration: 1 hour)
- Tiger bunting – suitable for Year 2 (duration: 25 minutes) create a flag each of which will be joined together to make a string of tiger bunting to decorate the classroom.
Key Stage 1 School Curriculum Links
Animals, including humans (years 1 & 2)
- Year 1 Identify and name a variety of common animals… including mammals.
- Year 1 Identify and name a variety of common animals that are carnivores, omnivores and herbivores.
- Year 1 Describe and compare the structure of a variety of common animals.
- Year 2 Find out about and describe the basic needs of animals… for survival (food, water and air).
Living things and their habitats – year 2
- Identify most living things live in habitats to which they are suited and describe how different habitats provide for the basic needs of different kinds of animals and plants and how they depend on each other.
- Identify and name a variety of plants and animals in their habitats.
- Describe how animals obtain their food from plants and other animals… identify and name different sources of food.
Key stage 1 – English Spoken language years 1-6 (gov.uk)
- Listening and responding appropriately to adults and peers.
- Asking relevant questions to extend their understanding and knowledge.
- Maintain attention and participate actively in collaborative conversations, staying on topic and initiating and responding to comments.
- Use spoken language to develop understanding through speculating, hypothesising, imagining and exploring ideas.
- Speak audibly and fluently.
Key stage 1 Art and Design
- Use a range of materials creatively to design and make products.
- Learn about the work of other artists.
To make a booking or for any questions you may have, please email DSWF’s Education Manager Jo Elphick